City of God vs. Children of Men

7 comments

4 comments

This is tough. Two of the best films of the past decade. Edge to Children of Men only because I'm partial to sci-fi.

I started hating this site now. It just created a chaotic vortex of uncertainty and I have no idea how to get out of this. Huge Sci-Fi geek and love Children of Men.. but I'm also Brazilian and feel an immense pride at this movie. Can't they pit this against Juno (currently bewilderingly sitting on my #6) instead? Flipping a coin... CoG won.

I'm very partial to SF, and Children of Men are one of the best in that department ever. However, City of God... well, what can one say? Let's suffice with its ability to handle many of the same themes as CoM, only without any less probable premises.

Nothing can seem to unseat City of God from my #2 spot or Children of Men from my #1 spot....and now my #2 goes up against my #1...for their first showoff against each other...aaaannnnd I think I'm going to have to give the edge to CoM. A great grounded scifi flick when there has been a lack of such in that genre. CoG is also great for different reasons, but CoM offers a bit more IMHO. Can't go wrong with either.

JRM
JRM

City of God is in my #2 spot. Children of Men is somewhere in my top 100.

Impossible. Also my #1 and 2

No 15 vs. no 16. Dear lord I need a drink after this one.

Children of Men. As I'm looking back on it though, I can easily say that I was blown away by both of these movies. I have still yet to see anything like them.

City of God by a fucking hair. Both are absolute masterpieces of the 2000s.

City of God is so amazing, but I'll go with Children of Men....

I'm not surprised these two are causing such a discussion despite them seeming like totally different movies. Both flawed but very good; I was much more entertained by City of God.

Children of Men's beautiful cinematography beats out City of God's unique editing.