Casablanca vs. The Godfather

11 comments

19 comments

Ok. Might call it a day with this one... This has gotten far too stressful.

Classic match-up. Throw Citizen Kane in the mix and you've got the kind of decision that gives AFI a headache every ten years.

Ouch... Ok, this will make my head explode. These are two movies I love dearly, they are what make moveis great... What to do... WHAT TO DO???!!!

The highlight of classical Hollywood vs the highlight of new Hollywood. Got to go with The Godfather though, but for pure drama these two can't be beat.

The Godfather. It shaped cinema for life.

For me, this isn't close. The Godfather has just about everything you could want in a movie. It's a near-perfect masterpiece.

Both movies are atop their respective genres, and both movies are nearly flawless. It boils down to personal preference. And I personally prefer Casablanca. I just connect with the characters in Casablanca more so than the characters in Godfather. Plus, there was no wasted time nor a wasted scene in Casablanca. It was streamlined and to the point. Godfather was much longer and for a good reason. So it's not a flaw, but I have to be in a certain mood for Godfather while I can watch Casablanca with little to no regard for mood. Both are true heavyweights, but Casablanca wins in my book.

Casablanca, no doubt about it.

Classics. The Godfather has more brilliant filmmaking, though.

Casablanca is the more beautiful film

Not that casablanca didnt have great scenes, but there were some silly plot holes, Bergman was awesome yeah but Bogart was wooden, the special effects were crappy & the movie itself was cheesy. The Godfather is a perfect work of art created with such magnificence that it commands respect from moviegoers,critics,filmmakers & actors alike.

Yeah, kind of weird they didn't use CGI. OH WAIT

Did Skywalker really just call out Casablanca for lacking special effects? And did he really just marginalize Humphrey Bogart's acting in the film, Casablanca??? Okay, if you guys aren't going to take this seriously...

2 of the most perfect films and both are in my top 15 but I prefer GF

Both are timeless classics that will be loved forever. I prefer The Godfather.

Ah, two classics. Think I'll go with Casablanca.

The Godfather by an inch!

It's a shame that The Dark Knight vs. The Avengers has almost 500 votes and over 600 comments while Casablanca vs. The Godfather has less than 20 votes and replies. This should be one of the most talked about matchups on this site.

Casablanca is more entertsining for me.

These movies switched places in AFI's updated list, which just goes to show how close this match-up is. For me, The Godfather is definitely the better of the two, and better than Citizen Kane also...

The Godfather wins a tough one....

whoa, battle of titans. Casablanca barely wins... but these two are right next to each other in my top 20

Casablanca was boring, but l'll take Godfather here.

Damn Casablanca is 42 on my list whereas the Godfather is 45. Damn close decision indeed. Casablanca wins

I just cared so much more for Casablanca! The Godfather had a great beginning and ending but I just really wasn’t into its middle. Casablanca is more consistent! It never has a dull moment and the characters shine throughout!

today I'll say Casablanca, tomorrow i'll probably say godfather lol

Allow me to break the tie and say The Godfather is slightly better.

bogart > brando casablanca wins!

The Godfather does literally everything better. It's more entertaining, better written (though that's way more subjective), better acted, better cinematography, etc. I just prefer it over Casablanca

I like Casablanca alot. But overall the Godfather wins.

I love the godfather more

Why does my votes always go to the wrong movie?

My votes never go where i want them to go

The godfather is the better film

Casablanca 26-16