2001: A Space Odyssey vs. Spartacus

4 comments

1 comments

just so you know, 5 out of my top 20 flickchart are Kubrick films currently, and that's without "The Shining" or "The Killing". i know Kubrick himself wasn't happy with "Spartacus",practically disowning it due to fights with the studio about the final cut, and with Kirk Douglas, who was a producer as well as star.however...! i saw it when i was 11 years old and it blew me away! there were a lot of cheap, dubbed italian gladiator-Hercules type movies coming out at the time and then "Spartacus"!Bam! like all Kubrick films, so detailed, so meticulously thought out, so brilliantly realized. now by the time "2001" came out, i was a worldly 16 year old, and having had dropped acid and all that, mainly enjoyed the opening and closing scenes,finding the middle a little "slow". now having read some of the background of hs and Arthur Clarkes concept and vision for this project, i can only marvel at every single scene.in the end, i am going to keep "Spartacus" at #6 and "2001 at #7, 'cause Jean Simmons' disrobing rocked my world more than anything in "2001"

buffoon.

I'll go with Spartacus....

Definitely Spartacus for me.

2001 way more impactful on me love sci-fi so its easy.

Spartacus is good, but it's my least favorite Kubrick movie. 2001 wins easily