Beneath the Planet of the Apes vs. Battle for the Planet of the Apes

6 comments

3 comments

Oh sugar. These are the two of the original five Apes movies that I really, really don't like. At least Beneath has Heston.

Beneath win by a landslide.

Beneath was actually pretty good. Battle had some things I liked too, but not enough.

Both are my least favorite. Coin flip. Can't wait for DAWN. IT LOOKS AWESOME.

Gives this to Battle for effort, Beneath doesn't even try

Yeah, these are the weakest of the five PotA films. But to be perfectly honest, I still liked them. Beneath the PotA starts out as a lame remake of sorts of the first film that's still mildly enjoyable, but the last 40 minutes are so mindboggingly stupid yet so surprisingly genius that I can't help but be amazed. Those 40 minutes alone make it worth a watch; it's pretty trippy stuff. Battle for the PotA isn't necessarily bad, it's just a very superfluous and pointless film in the PotA series, as it really doesn't add much to it. If you ignore its existence, Conquest of the PotA works fine as a dark ending of the series that still ties in well with the first film. Battle for the PotA on the other hand sort of "sweetens" that link by saying "well, maybe the apocalypse never happened!" which is something you either like or don't like. I didn't mind it, but I did like its intentional vagueness in its ending. But anyway, the film's action scenes are cheesy but entertaining, Roddy McDowall is still great as Caesar and like the other films in the series, it has great social commentary. They're both entertaining for different reasons, but Battle for the PotA is simply the better film. I'm surprised though that I ended up liking every film of the original series.

Rac
Rac

Beneath all the way. Glorious pulp.

I've just rewatched Beneath for the first time in 20 years, and it's still not great...but it does have some interesting things going on. Now I want to quickly make my way through the rest so I can re-examine this matchup. I still think I'll prefer Escape and Conquest, but these two - while not holding a candle to Rise, Dawn or the original - may fare a little better than my imperfect memory of them warranted.

Beneath is just average. It's fine if you want some closure of what happened. It has familiar faces returning and there's some political themes going on which is always welcomed. Although, the mutants are mind boggling terrible and there's nothing particularly interesting. Battle on the other hand is absolutely terrible! It's cheap, poorly written and poorly acted. Surprisingly, I think Conquest is even worse! POTA>Beneath>Escape>Battle>Conquest.

Both are bad but Beneath has a dope ending, Battle is just terrible.