Being John Malkovich vs. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

7 comments

8 comments

Eternal Sunshine wins this for me despite Malkovich having loftier ideas. I think Eternal Sunshine is just more fun to watch

Cant... Decide....

Yeow! These 2 are definitely in my top 5

JRM
JRM

Tough decision. I think I'll vote for Sunshine.

Not a tough decision for me. Being John Malkovich is highly original, but it creeped me out to be honest. It's Eternal Shine all the way; Chalie Kaufman's best work, I reckon.

This choice is just cruel.

Great comparison, but I've got Eternal Sunshine winning fairly easily.

Malkovich is great, but it really says something when Eternal Sunshine blows it away...

These are two of the most amazing movies of all time, but Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind takes it in no contest. It is just more accessible and tells a love story so differently that the way I watch romantic comedies has forever been tainted by the genius of it. Sure, Being John Malkovich is genius for how many ideas it has up its sleeve, but Eternal Sunshine just has so much more going for it (Including the best performance Jim Carrey has ever given!). Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind wins big here!

Both have perfect writing by Kaufman. Eternal Sunshine.

Malkovich

Sunshine is better than Malkovich, but both are incredible movies and beautifully unique films that should be praised for their creativity alone.

I love both. They're so fantastic and clever. I'm definitely going with Eternal Sunshine though, it feels more like the superior film in my eyes.

Eternal Sunshine for me as well.

Not an easy choice.

i probably prefer malkovich's screenplay, but gondry's direction takes it

Both are soooo good! Being John Malkovich touches on far more ideas, but I think Eternal Sunshine goes further in the ideas it explores. Also while Being John Malkovich is very funny, it's not as emotionally engaging as Eternal Sunshine. While that was likely intentional, Eternal Sunshine inevitably ends up being more emotionally and intellectually rewarding.