Being John Malkovich vs. He's Just Not That Into You

4 comments

0 comments

Seriously, BJM is SO good, but its hard to watch repeatedly. The really girly part of me can watch HJNTIY over and over.

Here's a film that actually offended me very personally. One of the characters in He's Just Not blah blah blah is actually very fucking similar to me in many respects. That is, until they shit all over him with their gay, womanly (maybe dykely?) script and idiotic, gay, womanly (again, dykely?) characters and cliched ending (err, assassination). So yeah, what I'm sayin' is, maybe the really girly part of the crackhead above needs to meet the really manly part of logical disapproval. Oh no he didn't! Yep, I'm afraid he did. Did what? Damned if I know. Man, fuck you. Fuck me? Nah fuck you homes, steppin' to me like some philandering polemicist. (Yo, yo, spellcheck on "dykely" anyone?)

Wowwww, haha, if anything it points out how crazy women are, so I see no need to be offended. I liked that it pointed out the truth of how crazy we can be, and how in fact, we often overanalyze, freak out, and nitpick what men say. Amusing comment though, no offense on my part.

Wowwww, haha, if anything it points out how crazy women are, so I see no need to be offended. I liked that it pointed out the truth of how crazy we can be, and how in fact, we often overanalyze, freak out, and nitpick what men say. Amusing comment though, no offense on my part.

Not what I was driving at. There's a rather large contingency of activists (people without gym memberships and 360s that have nothing better to do) that shamelesly berates movies (mostly movies such as this) for somehow promoting prejudice and kicking an allegedly downtrodden group further into the wild, inequitable yonder. The radical feminist (the dreaded f word) type took arms to this movie and went for the jugular for presenting all of its female characters as either naive or neurotic. I disagree with them (even though I agree with your assessment of general chick crazines... BBC right?) because 'individual characters' are not in and of themselves reflections of societal trends. It's silly and way too sensitive to claim that such and such character is an insult to ALL women or ALL men (unless the movie is purposefully scripted as social commentary or satire - something that cannot be claimed for HJNTIY for obvious reasons of gross ineptitude on the part of the script). Fuck no, such and such is just a moronic character. But it's different when you move from characters to archetypes. That's exactly what Justin Long was, an archetype (whose additional traits made me cock my head for their surprising familiarity) with a clear philosophical view on dudes, chicks, relationships and the erm universe. Writing in for idiot charcters is an insult to no-one, but taking an archetype and shitting on it for no reason other than to give the movie a childish, saccherine, Hollywood love story ending... well that's just sick. But that's the bane of rom-com, the witty(ish) opening hour that's forced to act as a stepping stone for the putrid dumbassery of the final hour's resolution. Said dumbasss resolution was just a little more potent here and a whole lot more close to my crib. So while we all strive to undress those Jessicas, bone those Joans, freak those Moniques, hit those Brittanys and kiss each and every Marisa (that's over the legal age of consent in her respective region) we don't need another retarded portmnteau film moralising on our fear of commitment or denial of true love by over-compensating with the flings or some shit. Or those Matthew Mcconnaughey movies were every player is really a little boy looking for love but buries his emotions because he's been hurt. Or another movie with (insert name of random yet repectable hot dude) were best friends suddenly realise they're soul-mates. Or Jennifer Aniston. Barf! But hey, if you enjoy a movie, you enjoy it and it needs no justification. Oh yeah, nice pic, I'd totally hit that (asuuming that it's over the legal age of consent in its respective region)... just sayin'.

You're hilarious, honestly. No, that isn't sarcasm and neither is this (seriously). I didn't love the ending, either, as I don't find it believable or an honest representation of men and women. It's a guilty pleasure movie for a reason. I don't think the movie has any depth and clearly BJM is a better movie. The initial choice of HJNTIY has to do with the fact that it's more watchable on an "over and over" basis because BJM is kind of a heavy film in some respects. In fact, those movies are the better films, obviously, which is why my opinion changed anyways....but that doesn't mean I don't still love HJNTIY ;)

Ah, gotcha. And many thanks! See people, this right here is how the world works. Tell a girl she's hot, she tells you you're a yukster, add a few shots of Tia-Maria Tiger Tail, maybe some mutual self-loathing and BANG... unwanted pregnancy. That's the circle of life... Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba... Sithi uhm ingonyama. =)