The Princess and the Frog vs. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

0 comments

3 comments

I really like both of these ... in fact, The Princess and the Frog is the best traditionally-animated Disney musical SINCE Hunchback. (I don't count PIXAR. Or The Emperor's New Groove.)

The Hunchback of Notre Dame wins. I have a strong connection to it because I watched it as a child, but seeing it again as an adult was an equally rewarding experience. It's darker and more emotionally complex than most Disney animated classics, but that is what makes it so unique. The Princess and the Frog is a very good movie, but it does not have the feel of something like The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast - which is how it was marketed. Instead, it reminded me more of Don Bluth's animated features from the 80s. This is not a bad thing; it's just not what I expected. Is it the best traditionally animated Disney musical since The Hunchback of Notre Dame? Not in my book. I think Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan are stronger stories and more musically memorable.

Princess and the Frog is nice, funny, and even a bit dark; but has a slow beginning (even compared to The Hunchback); and the severe seriousness of things in general does not ruin Hunchback, and with a rather excellent climax (compared to the head-scratching solution of Princess); I think Hunchback wins.