The Wild Bunch vs. Shane

2 comments

2 comments

on 1/23/2010

These are two movies where, while I can certainly recognise where all the praise is coming from, I don't particularly enjoy myself. The Wild Bunch I found I didn't care about any of the characters, so when it came to the big shootout at the end, I couldn't bring myself to root for or against anybody. With Shane, I really liked the storyline of the family homesteaders vs. the cattle ranchers, but that child who played Joey Starrett was the most godawfully annoying kid I have ever seen. His hero-worship of Mr. Shane sounded like it was just whining. His title of Most Annoying Child Character was only given up with the appearance of Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Shane gets the win here because I cared about everyone else, but sweet Jesus was that kid annoying!

on 7/6/2011

I also had some difficulty caring about the characters in The Wild Bunch when the climactic shootout took place. In addition, I found the film to be longer than it needed to be. Shane is the better film.

on 7/7/2011

I totally agree with both of you (vincemale and Grover Dill). Both movies are generally considered to be among the best westerns, but I didn't like them all that much. The Wild Bunch is sort of bleak and too long, while Shane is fine if you pretend that little brat had never existed.

on 7/13/2011

The Wild Bunch!

on 2/9/2019

The Wild Bunch