Seven Samurai vs. The Seventh Seal

11 comments

8 comments

Argh! Totally different reasons I love them both! Eeny, meeny, miney, mo...

Hmmm... Both "Sevens", both masterpieces of world cinema, both B&W, both set in the Middle Ages. I'm going to go with The Seventh Seal because I was more overwhelmed by the experience--it introduced me to film as art.

Both are great,but the Seventh Seal is really powerful. so...

NUMBER SEVEN NUMBER SEVEN NUMBER SEVEN NUMBER SEVEN. BOTH ARE VERY GOOD SO THIS IS TOUGH. Basically, Seven Samurai is totally awesome whilst The Seventh Seal is also awesome, but at times boring. Basically I don't like the middle where there's some guy stuck in a tree or something and they are all maxin' and relaxin' in a tavern. Okay it's been a while since I've seen it but that shit is bullshit. MORE EXISTENTIAL ANGST, PLEASE. Seven Samurai is just awesome, and gets better and better as the movie progresses. Which is good for a 3 hour marathon commitment.

Gonna have to go with my favourite movie of all time (The seventh seal)

The Seventh Seal. I admire Seven Samurai for it's storytelling and astounding technicals. It's a classic, not Kurosawa's best, IMO (I take issue with some of the dialogue+acting), but I superb film. I don't think The Seventh Seal is Bergaman's best, either (That title belongs to Persona) but still one of the greatest of all time (See: My Top Ten).

Bergman was a huge Kurosawa fanboy, and he even wanted to be a samurai. Literally. Like a 13 year old otaku, he literally wanted to be a samurai. I'm not making that up. I imagine a guy like him at one point or another secretly ordered a katana to flail around when mom was sleeping. I like The Seventh Seal a bit more.

Whoa.

I'll go with Samurai. Frankly...I don't love either....

Samurai. Such a grandiose achievement.

Two films with little in common except greatness and the decade they were produced. Love both, but The Seven Samurai is slightly little more enjoyable

two great films by two great directors this choice was hard to think out for me I had to rely on impulse...

I don't love either like most people do, but both are very good nonetheless. I'll go with The Seventh Seal.

Seventh Seal is a highly underrated film since so many people have never heard of it, but it is truly remarkable story of life, death and what's important. These two films are #109 and #152 for me. Sidenote: Se7en is #155 for me.

Tough call. The action-packed Samurai vs the metaphorical and cerebral Seventh Seal. Love them both.

Seven Samurai prevails

Seven Samurai gets my vote. Both are masterpieces, but I found the Japanese film more engrossing.

both incredible, but i prefer shichinin no samurai

I love Seven Samurai just a bit more. I think the cinematography, editing, framing, and lighting are done better in it. And the story was more gripping for me. That being said, Seventh Seal is the better work of art with powerful moral questions that resonate even after the film ends.

The Seventh Seal pretty easily.

If Flickcharts fails as a concept, it is in this comparison. Both are masterpieces of composition and mise-en-scene. These two films, so very diffrerent, are both unquestionable masterpieces. Very reluctantly, I give the nod to The Seventh Seal, if only because Death wasn't an actual character in The Seven Samurai, just a filmic constant.

Even though I really wanted to like the seventh seal, by the end I just felt unsatisfied and confused. Seven samurai by miles.

Even though I really wanted to like the seventh seal, by the end I just felt unsatisfied and confused. Seven samurai by miles.