Pacific Rim vs. Pan's Labyrinth

2 comments

3 comments

Del Toro is an amazing director! Even though Pacific Rim was so much fun, Pan's Labyrinth is the better movie. Hard match-up.

I'm not part of the crowd that proclaims Pan's Labyrinth as a masterpiece, but I do give it the win over Pacific Rim. I like both, though.

I find the bleakness of Pan's Labyrinth to be a bit of a turn off (so to speak). Pacific Rim may be slightly on the dumb side, but it is REALLY cool to look at and probably even deserves a sequel (although that likely won't happen). Gipsy Danger wins this one.

Isn't it great that Guillermo del Toro makes a haunting, visual near-masterpiece one year and a cheesy, entertaining giant robots vs. giant monsters a few years later, with both films being highly praised by audiences and critics? That's talent. Anyway, Pan's Labyrinth is better. Maybe not a masterpiece, but it's damn close to being one.

Both visual marvels. Pan's Labyrinth has the more intelligent story to back it up, though. There ain't nothing wrong with Pacific Rim just being a fun popcorn flick - I've enjoyed it several times as such - but yes, Pan's Labyrinth IS that masterpiece.