The Matrix vs. The Godfather

6 comments

20 comments

This one is actually difficult. The Godfather is a classic but The Matrix is just so damn awesome.

Yeah, this is a hard choice, but I've always held "The Godfather, Pt. II" in high regard than the first. Gotta go with "The Matrix" here. Totally revolutionary in its day and still holds up really well.

The Matrix. As much as I love The Godfather, I grew up with The Matrix. And it is extremely enjoyable. Dont forget the amazing scenes and visuals.

The Matrix. I love it.

I can't believe you all said matrix, its brilliant and is easily top 50 but better than the godfather no way!

Another nearly impossible decision. As far as the plot in big terms, I'd go with The Matrix. It's just about perfection in storytelling, with a crescendo at the end which few movies have ever equaled. In terms of the individual scenes, The Matrix does not have anything quite like the hospital scene, or the assassination in the Italian restaurant. The central idea of The Matrix is unsurpassed in storytelling, but The Godfather gets the nod on acting (despite Hugo Weaving). The Matrix has attained the status of a metaphor for all sorts of things we see in the world today, but The Godfather has a better score. In the end... James Caan's hair is anachronistic and I love sci fi. I'll go with The Matrix.

I can't believe Matrix is winning, Godfather for me.

Godfather! I love the Matrix but Godfather is the pinnacle of cinema

The Godfather is what I call the greatest film of all time...#2 vs # 5...Close but the Godfather is too good :)

The Godfather is the better film but if it was an action movie, I would have to pick The Matrix :)

The Godfather.

I prefer Inception over Matrix. In Matrix, the focus is more on action than the plot and while that is definitely not a sin, it was really disappointing to see that a film with such an ambitious concept ultimately reduced to a good vs evil gunfight - you know, that old story- bad guy hits good guy- good guy is hurt badly- he gets some motivation- & crushes the bad guy. And I didn't like the fact that the film takes a long time to explain the rules & that too not very clearly( like they do in Inception). While Matrix did have revolutionary cinematography & special effects, I wouldn't agree that its a perfect movie since I had some big issues with the plot. Now the Godfather, that's what I would call close to perfection, & yes it is quite unsurpassed in storytelling, individual scenes & acting.

The Godfather all the way.

Despite how good the Matrix is, it has nothing on the Godfather.

The first Godfather beats the Matrix.

While The Godfather is certainly a more important film and even a "better" film, I personally enjoy The Matrix more. Thus, it gets my vote here.

Agree with Nononsense exactly. Really love both, just like The Matrix a bit more.

godfather i guess

The Matrix for me

Matrix gets the win

The Godfather is better on rewatch for me.

The Godfather and it's not even close.

the godfather is the best movie in cinema history, and the matrix is just a sci-fi classic but isn't better than The Godfather

Gonna be saying the corleones.

ear
ear

The Godfather rules!

The Godfather

The godfather is the best, it always wins. The matrix has no chance