The Matrix vs. Pulp Fiction

13 comments

17 comments

Tough, but I think Pulp Fiction is better.

JRM
JRM

Yup. Few movies could top Pulp Fiction.

ear
ear

It's unanimous.......

Time for the voice of dissension.

Yeah, I have to say the Matrix is better but only slightly. It gets the edge for being completely unlike anything else out at the time, and being a runaway success, thus inciting more people to go out there and make more "out there" movies.

Too tough to call.

Matrix.

I absolutely love both films Pulp fiction JUST takes it.

Pulp Fiction disapointed me a lot, but it's still a good movie. The Matrix takes it.

Pulp.

Well, that's another (supposedly) 90s classic off my 90s list of shame. And like Pulp Fiction, I can't really say I loved it. I simply liked it. There's definitely some cool stuff in it (like the fight scenes and the cinematography), but the philosophy is somewhat confusing (if the spoon is not really there, then how come the bullets kind of are? Or is that the Matrix fucking with the brain again? What is this I don't even) and the chemistry between Trinity and Neo is non-existant. I'm going with Pulp Fiction.

Spoon = Subjectivism/Solipsism taken to the extreme (mind bends, not spoon). Decartes refracted. Bullets = Same.

Mweh, thought so. I think rewatching the film certainly helps you understand the philosophy and how stuff works, just like with Inception.

(Although Inception didn't have much philosophy, but whatever)

Sort of, I guess. Inception is not a philosophical enterprise. It's badass detailed, but the comparisons to The Matrix are superficial. Re-watching Inception helps you classify and sequence the details, but the film's details are all about the plot and therefore the movie is self-contained (which, in and of itself, is neither a good nor a bad thing). The Matrix is more about referencing famous works of philosophy and typical lines of philosophical reasoning (in and of itself, neither a good nor a bad thing). Re-watching the film won't give you much to chew on without being familiar with the points of reference. I still take a lot of shit from my family for championing The Matrix (and they're justified in their criticisms), but that film is like a fucking cinematic rainbow.

"(Although Inception didn't have much philosophy, but whatever)" Yeah. This.

So fricking hard! These two movies go by the fastest....I can't choose at all!

Pulp Fiction.

Another win for Neo....

Pulp Fiction is just too good.

Pulp Fiction is my #2, The Matrix ain't #1.

Two game changers in the movie industry. It really boils down to genre preference. The Matrix for me.

Pulp Fiction wins, but not by much.

Matrix is better action I'm not really a Pulp Fiction fan at all.

This is horribly unfair! Sorry Mr. Tarantino!

Pulp Fiction for sure

The Matrix need a re-watch, but I recall loving it. Anyways, Pulp Fiction is the better movie.

Pulp Fiction without a doubt. The Matrix has many moments of brilliance, while Pulp Fiction is full of brilliance.

Close but pulp fiction wins

Matrix is better than Pulp Borection

Pulp is unbeatable here..

In Pulp Fiction, Neo and Morepheus would be having a random conversation on why the cheeseburger served at Neo's office sucks, or why kung-fu movies are good cinema, or how the girl in the red dress has sexy toes. Basically, anything but the actual plot of The Matrix.

The matrix is a good sci-fi film from 1999. Pulp fiction is one of the worst films of the 90s and its boring me

Pulp fiction not that close