The Man Who Knew Too Much vs. The Man Who Knew Too Much

0 comments

4 comments

Rare case of the remake being better than the original, although Hitchcock directed both of them.

I actually liked the original better. The remake bothered me by being slightly racist towards the beginning and having an ending that lazily borrowed from earlier Hitchcock movies. Plus, the original had the incomparable Peter Lorre!

Hard to argue with those points (especially Peter Lorre), but I just feel that at the time of the remake Hitch was on top of his game. It blends suspense, romance, and action together in a way only the master himself can. It's an incredibly entertaining film, even though it's probably not even in Hitch's top 15.

In both the concert hall sequence is the inevitable highlight, and I'm pretty sure having another go at that was the main reason that Hitchcock remade TMWKTM. Neither has a third act that works particularly well: the shoot-out in the original takes too long to really generate any kind of excitement, and the remake features the annoying "Que sera, sera" and one of the corniest closing lines ever. The original is perhaps too dour and the remake perhaps too comic. I'd have to rewatch them both to really make much of a decision here. I'll stick with whatever my current ranking is, which I think puts the original on top -- largely because of the villainous Peter Lorre.

The original was surprisingly good, but the remake is better in almost every way. In fact the only thing the original has on the remake is that Peter Lorre is a much better villain. The 1956 version wins.

Peter Lorre has me rooting for the original. even if one of my favourite actors (Jimmy Stewart) stars in the remake.