The Shining vs. Misery

11 comments

0 comments

on 7/13/2010

Two fantastic King adaptations both with outstanding lead performances. However, Jack takes this one.

ear
ear

on 7/13/2010

"Some places are like people: some shine and some don't." The Shining is King's best adaptation of his novels despite what he thinks.

ear
ear

on 7/13/2010

"Some places are like people: some shine and some don't." The Shining is the best adaptation of a King novel despite what he thinks.

JRM
JRM

on 12/21/2010

I read Misery the novel before I saw the movie; the movie disappointed me. Although it had a great performance by Kathy Bates, even that didn't feel right to me. I didn't feel the movie explored her mental illness and her past well enough. It just made her come off as simply a crazy, bipolar fan. And her character is much more than that. I also didn't FEEL the physical and emotional toll wearing down Paul. I don't think he ever even cried. There's so much more, but I'll just leave it at that. Perhaps I'd enjoy it more if I saw it 19 years ago. As for The Shining. I have not read the book . . . but I liked the movie a lot. I wonder if my impression of it will change when I finally read the book.

on 8/31/2011

Annie Wilkes is no where near as crazy in the movie as she is in the book, not even close. But in this particular matchup I'll go with Kubrick over Reiner.

on 8/31/2011

Misery is way, way overrated. It's not frightening, it's campy. The Shining on the other hand, is excellent.

on 8/31/2011

Agree with all...The Shining was actually scary. Misery was a fun, entertaining ride...but no way does it leave an imprint like The Shining.

on 10/18/2012

The Shining was more complex than Misery. In Misery, almost everything was spoonfed to the audience. In The Shining, well, the audience is gonna have to break a door down with an ax in order to uncover everything. Going with complexity.

on 10/19/2012

Like everyone else I'm going with The Shining

on 10/3/2013

The Shining is the better film.

on 2/16/2015

Shining is the greatest King's adaptation (Fuck You, King). Misery is, maybe, 3rd

on 7/8/2017

I agree with everyone else. It's really no comparison.