The Shining vs. Chinatown

7 comments

7 comments

Two of Nicholson's best performances. I think I have to give it to Chinatown overall for being a better-written and more affecting film, but the Shining is still one of the most effective films in its genre.

I would have given this to Chinatown had I not seen the Shining with an audience. When everyone else is sucked up into the film it gains another level of power.

Jack's performance wasn't that good in The Shining but it's definitely the better film.

Chinatown for sure.

Shining, obvious

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

'These are both crap. Tell me why i'm wrong. Let's go'

Battle of the two Jacks. In close calls I always go dark, The Shining it is.

Chinatown is Jack Nicholson's best movie Imo.

I found Chinatown to be both the better movie and the superior Jack Nicholson performance.

The Shining.

The Shining was more entertaining, intense, and effective for me personally. You could maybe argue that Chinatown is a "better made" film from a script, structure, and stylistic standpoint but The Shining is the greatest horror film ever. The Shining wins.

Absolutely going with The Shining....

Chinatown by a literal landslide. The Shining is for sure a great movie and among the best horror movies ever made (just surpassed by Psycho), but Chinatown is up there for the greatest story ever told. The stunning and beautiful cinematography, the powerful themes on evil and heroism, the engrossing and flawless screenplay, the masterful acting from the entire cast, and so much more give it the victory over Kubrick's horror masterpiece

The shining is far from perfect, Chinatown is flawless.