Watchmen vs. Inglourious Basterds

5 comments

6 comments

I've never been a big Tarantino fan, and I've always found Alan Moore's graphic novels tops -- so I'm very surprised to like INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS so much more. It was more sophisticated, was more incisive social commentary, and with a similar running length, was much more absorbing. No question -- INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS is one of the best films I've seen this year, and WATCHMEN just isn't.

I, too, was rather taken aback by how much I liked Inglourious Basterds. That said, Watchmen is undeserving of all the flack it gets. Few films are as faithful to their source material and, despite what most would lead you to believe, it's not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I consider it to be one of my favorites. It is flawed. I see that. I'm not blind. But so is Inglourious Basterds. And every Quentin Tarantino film, for that matter. None of his movies is a pointless exercise or a failure, yet they all fail to resonate with me on the level that Watchmen did.

Watchmen used to be my favorite 2009 film until I saw Basterds. A genuine masterpiece.

Battle of the turds.

As much as I loved Basterds, Watchmen gets my vote this time. Just a question of taste, more than a question of quality. Same quality, but Watchmen just had a better ambiance in my own opinion.

Inglourious Basterds failed to engage me on a dramatic level. The structure of the movie becomes tedious after a while, and I was more conscious of that than the story. In fact, Inglourious Basterds comes across as very artificial because of the way it's presented. I found it be more interesting than entertaining. Watchmen is nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be, and is much more involving. Inglourious Basterds is mostly just a hodgepodge that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, while Watchmen is a more consistent and fully realized world. I'm not saying Watchmen isn't flawed, but that the flaws aren't as intrusive.

ear
ear

I'm a big fan of Watchman but Inglourious Basterds had a better cast and a superior script.

I've only seen the director's cut of Watchmen. I don't know if that makes a difference (how much was Snyder's movie butchered for the theatrical release?), but it gets my vote over Basterds. Basterds is probably my favorite Tarantino film, and has some great stuff in it, but I'm not really a Tarantino fan. Watchmen is uneven, but more my kind of film. And hey, I think Jackie Earl Haley is just as impressive as Rorschach as Christoph Waltz is as Landa.

I adore the Watchmen,but i think my love for the comic is way bigger than the movie. Basterds is a masterpiece and it's a easy pick for me.

Both awesome movies! But, Watchmen had something that was very special. When i first watched it, I was so captivated by it, and the story was so well written. One of the best movies of all time in my opinion.

For now my vote goes with watchmen.

The Basterds may have taken out Hitler but they can't take down Rorschach.

I gotta go with Inglorious Bastards but Watchmen is amazing.