Up vs. Up in the Air

9 comments

6 comments

Oddly, the only two 2010 Best Picture nominees I've seen. Pixar's "Up" stirred genuine emotions in me at times, but the anthropomorphic dogs were incongruous with the rest of the film's maturity. Conversely, Clooney has never been more human than in "Up in the Air." It may have been predictable, but it was still thoroughly engrossing.

I liked Up more than Up In The Air.

Though I consider Up to be one of Pixar's best, it cannot beat Jason Reitman's best. Up, though an undeniably fun and, at times, touching film, does not quite attain the perfection of some of Pixar's other films, whereas Up in the Air is, I feel, perfect in every respect from the script to the performances.

ear
ear

Hard choice because I loved them both. Up wins because it was that good.

Both oscar nominees, both including the word, "Up", both very good movies. I think at one point or another both made me tear up. Although Up was a very beautiful movie and one of my favorites, I have to favor for Up in the Air simply because of it's perspective on life it gives, which was made it a little more in depth than "Up". Both were phenomenal

JRM
JRM

At the moment I have to go with Up in the Air.

@Charyou_Tree: That's interesting; I do think that Up is one of Pixar's movies that approaches near perfection. (I rank it only behind Finding Nemo, among Pixar films, and just ahead of WALL·E.) I certainly liked Up in the Air, but as far as Reitman's films go, I liked Juno better, and Up is amazing.

If these movies were ranked on their opening acts alone, Up would crush Up in the Air. For me though, Up started to wane a bit, in pathos and credulity, once our daring duo reach Paradise Falls and introduced the impossibly aged villain. Reitman's film, on the other hand, starts decently but only gets better. Reitman has a knack for creating very believable, unique protagonists that, even if at first you don't like them (I'm thinking of George Clooney here and Aaron Eckhart in Thank You For Smoking), engender a level of empathy without ever pandering. He does this so deftly I think he doesn't get enough credit for it, but the result is after only 3 films Reitman's become one of my favorite directors, a guy who's films I'll continue to pay for without seeing a trailer or review - at least until he screws up.

Have had 613 days since I last had this match to digest both movies, I now favor "Up." Anna Kendrick makes "Up in the Air" appealing, but I find that "Up" has stayed with me more strongly.

Up in the Air for sure.

Up In The Air hands down. It was solid the whole way through, where as the middle portion of up made it very clear that even though a more depressing Pixar film it was still a kids movie at its core.

UP hands down! Up in the Air is good, but it's no UP!

Up definitely. Though there's nothing bad about Up in the Air, that was actually very good.

Both are worthy additions to any movie collection.

Man, I love Up....but Up In the Air wins...

Oh my god,