The Killing vs. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

1 comments

2 comments

Nice matchup, "The Killing" is a great early Kubrick, but "Dr Strangelove" is the best satire ever made.

I just had myself a Kubrick double feature and watched both of these for the first time. While I enjoyed Dr. Strangelove, I liked The Killing slightly more. Although the performances were much better in Strangelove, I prefer heist films to political satire.

I enjoyed "Strangelove" but felt like it fell a little flatter than expected at times. Maybe it was all the hype I had heard beforehand. "The Killing," on the other hand, was a lot of fun, more fun than I knew Kubrick could have, and it inspired so many of my favorites today.

Two greats from Kubrick, but Dr. Strangelove is just too damn good and too damn funny to lose this.

Both excellent Kubrick films, but I feel like Dr. Strangelove has more layers. Not that there’s anything wrong with how straightforward The Killing is, the ending is just as impactful.