Gravity vs. American Hustle

4 comments

3 comments

Gravity completely blew me away when I first saw it, whereas American Hustle just had me thinking the standard for what passes for a serious Oscar contender nowadays has gotten ridiculously low. I'll take Gravity without hesitation...

I'll take American Hustle, but it's extremely close.

The two films with the most nominations at this year's Academy Awards. I enjoyed American Hustle, although I don't think it really deserves joint most Oscar nominations, but I'm not on the side of the many people who dislike it either. I still think its a very good movie, just had a couple flaws here and there. Gravity will most likely have the same fate as The Life of Pi did and sweep all the technical awards, and I have to admit the film took my breath away and really impressed me. I know some of the dialogue was cheesy, but Gravity is one of the best and most stunning experiences I've had at the cinema and its visuals are exceptional and fantastic. So overall, Gravity is my preference for being such an outstanding and thrilling cinema experience, despite some atmosphere-dampening lines.

My favorite films from 2013, but a comparison of these films I feel is a bit apples and oranges. One's a Space film, the other a con-film. I say Gravity is still my favorite movie from last year, but IMO, these are still two different films. Judge them on their own merits is what I did.

I think time will prove American Hustle the better film. Gravity is a neat technical movie, on the big screen and in 3D at least, but it has no script and no real characters. The roller-coaster nature of the action works in the moment, the first few times, but it wears thin and is fundamentally manipulative, like jump-scares in horror movies. In 20 years we will still be talking about Bullock's Ryan Stone because of what she represents--the best sci-fi heroine since Ripley--but that says more about the lack of such figures in the genre than it does about Stone. American Hustle's caper plot isn't going to blow anyone away, but the characters and acting have a lot of heart, and it's a funny, poignant film in a great package. It catches David O. Russell, Bale, Cooper, and Lawrence at the moment that they are rising to unchartered heights in their careers, and the familiar but almost reinvented Adams is a great center.

American Hustle just gets the edge. My opinion is definitely subject to change.

Just saw American Hustle recently and loved it. I watched it twice to make sure and it's now my number 2 of 2013 next to 12 years a slave.(still haven't seen the wolf of wall street, and Scorsese's my all time favorite director.)

Allot of people say Gravity is the best film of 2013 while I feel the best movie of 2013 belongs to American Hustle.

Gravity by a mile.

Easily American Hustle. Just a film I can watch over and over and not get tired of. Gravity was visually impressive but that's about all it had going for it. I never really want to see it again.

Love them both, they definitely deserved their best picture nominations - and they're two of the year's best in general. Gravity for me.