Black Swan vs. The Red Shoes

3 comments

3 comments

I'm only just putting Black Swan into my list and this is the first match up!? I'll have to go with Black Swan for now, seen I've seen it most recently. But these are virtually the same film in terms of subject and symbolism.

Interesting match-up as these films have so much in common. I have to choose The Red Shoes. It leaves so much more open to interpretation. While Black Swan was a very good film, it was much more expicit (in both subject matter and exposition). Also, Red Shoes is a stunning looking film and some of the effects during the ballet sequence are quite magical.

I agree with guitarman. Black Swan obviously feels more modern and has much better pacing, but The Red Shoes is still more beautiful visually, more complex emotionally, and more enigmatic on the whole. very different movies with many narrative similarities.

The performance of The Red Shoes in The Red Shoes alone is better than the whole of Black Swan. Similar in subject matter? Yes. Similar in quality? Not even close...

Black Swan has a slight edge in this matchup, if only because The Red Shoes is rather plodding.

Easily The Red Shoes. Though Black Swan is good.

This really isn't fair. When you put these films side by side, Black Swan is a far superior film. For its time however, Red Shoes is a very good film, it just can't compare with a film like Black Swan.