Spirited Away vs. Akira

12 comments

11 comments

Akira was my favorite animated film until I saw Spirited Away.

Akira is my pick here. A lot of fun stuff going on. I dont think Spirted Away is Miyazkis best, unpopular as that may be.

Spirited Away was Fantastic,but I have to go with Akira.

Akira would beat over ninety percent of the movies it goes up against. But Spirited Away is my number one overall.

Akira is great, but Spirited Away has deeper plot.

All aboard the Miyazaki bandwagon. Come up and ride his dick for free. I joke, I joke, I kid, I kid. Miyazaki is OK but he's NEVER done anything as good as Akira. His best movie would not break the Top 10 greatest anime list.

While Akira was freaking awesome, Spirited away is better to me.

Cleckley, I can't believe that no Miyazaki film would be in your top ten anime flicks. Not only is Spirited Away one of the greatest (IMO, THE best), both Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky are absolute masterpieces! What WOULD be on your list, if there's no Miyazaki? If you ever see this, please PM me, I'm so curious!

Miyazaki is great, his Princess Mononoke is one of my top 5, but I didn't like Spirited away as much as I did Akira.

Ahh shit. I didn't see BohemianMonkey's comment and now he's gone. I'm a bad ambassador for the site. Anway: 1) Grave of the Fireflies. 2) Perfect Blue. 3) Ghost in the Shell (and Innocence, and SAC). 4) Paprika. 5) Akira. 6). Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door. 7) Only Yesterday. 8) Advent Children. 9) Girl Who Leapt Through Time. 10)... well I suppose it'd be betwwen Ninja Scroll, Tokyo Godfathers, Bloodlust, Lupin III (throwing Miyazaki a bone), Street Fighter (jus' because), Afro Samurai, Porco Rosso (another bone) and a bunch of others that slip my mind at the mo'. That doesn't even include all the non-Japanes stuff that follows in the same style.

I won't be very popular here. Can't stand either flick. I'll go with Akira, purely as it was the lesser of two evils. I'm sorry about that...

I've found a very weird pattern when people rank the top movies in a certain category and then in a subcategory, where the rankings don't line up. For example, general consensus (based on my statistical analysis of a lot of lists and polls) is that Princess Mononoke and Akira are better animes than Spirited Away, but that Spirited Away is a better animated film by far (no other anime makes the top 10). Likewise, Spirited Away is on average ranked higher than Toy Story on lists of animated films (these are indisputably the top two if you crunch the numbers), yet Toy Story is ranked higher than Spirited Away on lists of all films, being the only animated film that consistently breaks top 100.

I'd have to go with Spirited away, the anime movie was well made with an exciting fantasy story I found (no face) to be my favorite character through this anime movie. Akira was very well made as well but I felt that Spirited away drew me more into the story, in which I loved watching the movie.

Spirited Away was the first proper anime that I stumbled upon (by which I mean anything other than Pokemon or any of that rubbish). I didn't understand any of it at the time and rejected it as nonsense. I figured I would stay that way over anime in general until I found Akira, and Akira blew my mind! Everything about it; the animation, the voice acting (even the 2001 dub), the action sequences, the plot is truly epic for an animated film, let alone and anime. Above all, it actually created animated characters who I cared about, something which hadn't happened in a long time, and certainly something which I didn't find in Spirited Away. What amazes me even more is how many supposed "anime fans" I meet say how much they love the Miyazaki films blah blah blah, but when asked about Akira, very few have actually watched it, or worse, several haven't even heard of it. Come on guys, Akira is the reason you know what the word "anime" means. I know that, and I'm not even a fan of the genre. I'll try watching Spirited Away again at some point, but for now, Akira is easily the best anime I've ever seen.

Spirited Away was the first proper anime that I stumbled upon (by which I mean anything other than Pokemon or any of that rubbish). I didn't understand any of it at the time and rejected it as nonsense. I figured I would stay that way over anime in general until I found Akira, and Akira blew my mind! Everything about it; the animation, the voice acting (even the 2001 dub), the action sequences, the soundtrack, the plot is truly epic for an animated film, let alone and anime. Above all, it actually created animated characters who I cared about, something which hadn't happened in a long time, and certainly something which I didn't find in Spirited Away. What amazes me even more is how many supposed "anime fans" I meet say how much they love the Miyazaki films blah blah blah, but when asked about Akira, very few have actually watched it, or worse, several haven't even heard of it. Come on guys, Akira is the reason you know what the word "anime" means. I know that, and I'm not even a fan of the genre. I'll try watching Spirited Away again at some point, but for now, Akira is easily the best anime I've ever seen.

Spirited Away was the first proper anime that I stumbled upon (by which I mean anything other than Pokemon or any of that rubbish). I didn't understand any of it at the time and rejected it as nonsense. I figured I would stay that way over anime in general until I found Akira, and Akira blew my mind! Everything about it; the animation, the voice acting (even the 2001 dub), the action sequences, the soundtrack, the plot is truly epic for an animated film, let alone and anime. Above all, it actually created animated characters who I cared about, something which hadn't happened in a long time, and certainly something which I didn't find in Spirited Away. What amazes me even more is how many supposed "anime fans" I meet say how much they love the Miyazaki films blah blah blah, but when asked about Akira, very few have actually watched it, or worse, several haven't even heard of it. Come on guys, Akira is the reason you know what the word "anime" means. I know that, and I'm not even a fan of the genre. I'll try watching Spirited Away again at some point, but for now, Akira is easily the best anime I've ever seen.

Sorry, I'm not trolling honest, the computer crashed and I uploaded the comment multiple times.

Absolutley love both, but I have to with Akira.

Both are special anime movies but i give it to Spirited Away its so amazing.

Main leads:Spirited Away Supporting Cast:Spirited Away Imagery:Akira Composition:Akira Story:Akira Spirited Away is in my top 20 favorite films, but Akira wins slightly for me.

If I have to choose, I'm choosing Spirited away.

My pick is Spirited Away. It made a much bigger impact on me. I loved the characters and the story. BOTH belong in the anime top ten. Cleckley please don't confuse your personal list with a list that would have to be voted on by many people. Although I like your list a lot actually. :-)

both are in my all time top 50 movies. but akira is number 3 I have never seen anything like it. it blew my mind when I was a kid

I'm biased. Came upon Spirited Away (and Miyazaki as a whole) a good 10 years at least before even hearing anything about Akira's existence. I also believe you don't need a ridiculous amount of gore or a grotesque factor to tell a good story.

Both of these films are good animated movies. Akira is more entertaining for me so I would probably pick that over Spirited Away though Spirited Away is a great film. Akira has Tetsuo with awesome telekinetic powers and the difficulties of a failing Japanese government. Spirited Away has the superior animation and characters. It is the better movie. I do think that it is overrated though. Nobody ever gives Laputa: Castle in the Sky praise when it is definitely the better film. Akira still holds up today and that is an achievement. Spirited Away will maybe hold up in the same time. Spirited Away is my pick.

Both are really good movies but I have to go with Akira. It was so much fun.

Are you kidding me? Akira's visuals and setting sucked donkey dick in comparison to Spirited Away!

akira is excellent but i love sen to chihiro so much more

I still want to process what I watched in Akira, but I know I loved it. Spirited Away though, is just flawless anime.

I really need to re-visit Akira, because I was blown away by its fierce animation and thought-provoking themes, and it's a lot to digest. I have seen Spirited Away 3 times, and I keep loving it more every time. So for now, Spirited Away, but Akira is amazing too.