Apocalypse Now vs. Stalker

4 comments

1 comments

When you think about it, it's kind of eerie how similar these films are. Stalker is thematically rich, but Andrei Tarkovsky was apparently determined to explore these themes in the most laborious manner possible. Apocalypse Now, while not as spiritually "deep" as Stalker, does have some interesting themes of its own. More importantly, it is simply a far more entertaining film. This one is no contest...

This is actually a pretty close call for me. I'm not sure which side I'll end up on when I hit Submit Comment. Stalker is a gorgeous production and sports some pretty immaculate set design. The same could probably be argued about Apocalypse Now, but I think it's got a lot more to work with.

Haha, even close than I thought. These are separated by two films on my list!

Stalker i think is the superior film although both are fantastic films about a journey into the heart of darkness in a way. Stalker is just haunting, it has a dream-like,poetic quality to it that really gets to you.

stalker connects with me like apocalypse now never has, i prefer tarkovsky's journey to the heart of darkness to coppola's

Two awesome thematic journeys that maintain a masterful state of melancholy. Along the way, the characters psychologically deteriorate. Stalker is more cathartic, but Apocalypse Now's clear sense of milieu and authentic historical backdrop endears it. I enjoyed it more in a "movie" sense -- taking nothing away from how good Stalker is, Coppola's story is simply better IMO.