The Wizard of Oz vs. Gone with the Wind

17 comments

8 comments

on 11/22/2009

Tough choice. I'm going to go with "Wizard of Oz", though.

on 3/2/2010

The one with the wicked *bitch* of the south... GWTW is my favorite movie of all time.

on 6/27/2010

Good year for Victor Fleming. The Wizard of Oz is nothing special to me. Gone With the Wind is a pretty damn good epic.

on 8/15/2010

What a year for film! Have to vote Gone With The Wind here.

on 3/10/2011

I'm going with OZ.Mostly out because of the sheer amount of times I've seen it and loved it.

on 5/11/2011

two great movies. but for me theres no doubt about who wins this, gone with the wind is my all time favorite. nevertheless wizard of oz is a great movie but it doesnt reach neither the story nor the power that gwtw have. victor fleming did really change hollywood when he decided to do this two movies, without them the world of movies wondt be as great as it is.

on 5/11/2011

Gone with the Wind, although neither is the best of their year. *The Rules of the Game*

on 5/13/2011

Oz wins. I can only enjoy Gone With the Wind if I treat Scarlett as the villain - cockroach of the South. But Oz says so much more in less than half the running time. The switch into technicolor on arrival in Munchkinland is a better scene than anything in Gone With the Wind, although. And there's no flying monkeys in it either.

on 9/3/2011

Agree about Scarlett. I really have a hard time liking her. Same goes for Rhett part of the time, and certainly for that milksop Ashley. Melanie is the only one I root for. I respect GWtW for what it is, but Oz is much closer to my heart.

on 9/3/2011

Really? I hated Melanie, she was too much of a loser to adore. I thought Scarlett was like a badass, mischievious, plotting Little Mermaid. I dunno, GWTW was great when I first watched it, hard to think I'd really like it's looooong ass now. I'm still giving it the win though... fuckers at school tried to get me to sing 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'. It wasn't happening for Dorothy then and it ain't gonna happen for her now.

on 10/30/2011

oz is my favourite film of all time. gone with the wind is good though but none can equal the magic and awe when i first saw dorothy enter oz

on 5/28/2012

Matchup of 1939, so which one, this is tough, I love both. GWTW might actually be the overall better film, but I think I like The Wizard of Oz a bit more.

on 5/28/2012

What I wouldn't give to have been a moviegoer in 1939! My vote is for The Wizard of Oz, but there is no denying the greatness of Gone with the Wind. I would not say one is better than the other one, but there are parts in The Wizard of Oz that cuts right to the heart. I've seen it more times and it is truly one of the most magical movies ever made.

on 8/15/2012

Damn both in my top 20 ive seen Wizard of Oz so many times. Its one of those movies you just cant hate on. But i will pick Gone With the Wind because i saw it in one sitting and it was so awesome. So yeah GWTW wins!

on 8/15/2012

amazing classics with amazing storys, both live on almost 80 years later, but gone with the wind stands the test of time

on 9/14/2012

Ive actually changed my mind Wizard of Oz is better.

on 9/14/2012

Both are good, but only one of them is good without being nearly four freakin' hours long. The Wizard of Oz wins.

on 1/30/2013

The best film of the best film year, 1939 is The Wizard of Oz over Gone With the Wind, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and others...

on 6/28/2013

Gone With the Wind.

on 6/11/2014

I like Gone with the wind more than the wizard of oz, GWTW FTW!

on 7/13/2014

The Wizard of Oz is perfect. GWTW is a massive achievement but does more but achieves less. Oz for the win.

on 5/20/2015

Gone With the Wind really surprised me with how good it was, but this is The Wizard of Oz we're talking about here, people.

on 5/26/2015

Honestly ? Gone With the Wind is boring as hell. Oz takes it.

on 3/15/2016

Damn, the cinematic feat that wouldn't be replicated still Spielberg released "Jurassic Park" and "Schindler's List" in the same year. But getting back on topic, "The Wizard of Oz" for it's more manageable length and fun.

on 8/9/2016

I love both of these movies, and Victor Flemming was integral to both. But Oz get's my vote.

on 3/14/2017

The Wizard of Oz is so easy to win this.

on 8/13/2017

wizard of oz

on Jun 30

Gone with the Wind is fantastic and I love it but The Wizard of Oz is in my top 10 and my favourite film from the 1930s