Batman Forever vs. Batman Returns

10 comments

9 comments

One has Tim Burton and Michelle Pfeiffer in skin-tight leather. The other doesn't. No contest.

DeVito's Penguin is better than Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face and Jim Carrey's Riddler combined.

I hate DeVito's Penguin. His delivery ruins what are some otherwise good lines. Otherwise, I'd like "Returns." As it stands, I'm going with the shameless fun of "Forever."

Two words. Bat nipples.

This is no contest. Batman Forever isn't as bad as Batman & Robin, but Batman Returns is on a completely different level. Though if you compare it to the original Batman, it doesn't stand a chance, either.

@nicklby: Actually, I'm pretty sure the nipples didn't show up until Batman & Robin. Of course, in Batman Forever, you still get a shot of Batman's @$$ in tight leather. (God, Schumacher, WHY? Val Kilmer does not exactly have a butt like Michelle Pfeiffer's.) But I actually kind of like Forever. Thought Kilmer was adequate as the Bat, and Carrey was actually pretty good casting for The Riddler. Oh, and Nicole Kidman's never looked better in another movie, IMHO. I'm currently voting Batman Returns, but it is the Batman movie that has gone the longest without me seeing it. Perhaps my memory of it is better than it actually is.

For some reason the Batman series took a weird turn between 92 & 95... Michael Keeton leaves the suit and all of the sudden we get goofy Batman movies (ala Adam West). Now, there is nothing wrong with that, per say, but I like my Bat to be a little more dark and brooding. Lets go with Returns.

This matchup again? Returns is still better.

Returns was merely Tim Burton exploiting a franchise to play around with his silly aesthetics (circus goons, suppressed Freudian urges, the penguin army, winter). But Batman Forever had no artistic credibility whatsoever. The first of the worst, all neon and shallow.

Returns is more of a Burton film than a Batman film,and oddly enough it's my favorite Bat-film.

I actually like Forever more *hides under a table* And I'm serious. Batman Returns was like an unbearable black coffee for me...with painful sexual innuendos...and penguins WITH ROCKETS ON THEIR BACKS! And people say Forever has stupid stuff in it...which it does, ofcourse. Batman Forever isn't great, but it is at least better than Returns, even if it's not by that much.

Forever, and I didn't even have to think about it.

Batman Forever is the better movie even if it was a tad corny/ I loved Jim Carrey's performance!

Batman Forever is an okay film but it is not as good Batman 89 and Batman Returns in many ways. So Batman Returns wins over Batman Forever everyday every year from now on.

I had changed my mind that Batman Forever is alot better than Batman Returns.

Easily...easily....Batman Forever. I just don't respect the Penguin...

Doesn't anyone think that Batman Forever would have been a lot better if Michael Keaton has stayed in the role? Schumacher wanted him, because Keaton declined to reprise, probably because he could sense a bad thing when he read it. I don't like either movie - Batman Returns is dull and no fun, Batman Forever is gaudy and hyperactive (which Batman and Robin then doubles up on).

Batman Forever by a landslide.

Batman Forever was alright, but Batman Returns was awesome. In Forever, Gotham didn't feel all that 'Gotham' like it did in Returns. It was aimed at being more kid friendly, and boy did they go overboard with the neon. Batman is supposed to be dark and brooding. Batman Returns delivers that in a perfect way.

A cat fight between the two hottest ladies in a Batman movie. Meow my pussies.

how is forever winning, returns by a landslide

Batman Returns for sure. I always thought Enigma was more of an enemy to Batman than the Joker was. Why I thought that was because Enigma came to oppose Batman in a genuine way. Enigma is a puzzle maker who believes his IQ was the highest and has the right to judge others which made him believe his actions were more moral than they were. Enigma love's logical, verbal puzzles. Batman loves visually evocative, artistic emergence. This is way Batman was more of opponent to Enigma than he was an enemy to the Joker or any other opponent, not to mention Enigma was the most realistic antagonist to Batman in the comics.

Sorry, I meant the Riddler not Enigma.

Everyone is crazy, Batman Forever isn't as bad as B&R, and I find both Burton Batman movies to be a bit overrated, but it's so clear which movie is the winner here.

Forever had the TLJ Two Face and Jim Carrey Riddler. NO way Returns doesn't win.

I'll go Batman Returns here Best Movie out of the OG 4

Peppe is the best film and Batman Forever So don't say that I hate Batman Returns it's just that film had too many problems for me it has big flaws Catwoman is too crazy things are too complicated so too many problems instead Batman Forever was always one of minefavorite films of all time, I liked the story, the characters and all the things they did in this film, which is why Batman Forever wins