“Logan’s Run” – Nathan’s Movie Challenge, Week 21
“You’re sad enough. You’re beautiful. Let’s have sex.”
Thoughts while watching Logan’s Run:
- Hey, look! It’s Basil from Austin Powers!
- Dick move – making all the babies cry. Cops are assholes in the future.
- It’s funny how blatantly obvious the miniatures are in this film – and virtually everything pre-Star Wars.
- They sure don’t like bras in 1970s space future. Or any undergarments, it would seem.
- Terrible chroma keying (blue/greenscreen). Really bad.
- If nothing else, a Jerry Goldsmith score is always welcome, but he’s underutilized, too.
- A robot/cyborg/android(?) named Box. I can see your mouth under that laughably awful costume, dude. Is this serious?
- This dude, and his cats. What is going on?
- Well, that was a terrible ending.
- I am flabbergasted that this was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Cinematography and Best Production Design. Flabbergasted. That makes no sense, whatsoever.
Overall, it reminded me of a really weak, reallllllly long episode of the original Star Trek, with infinitely weaker characters, plot, and acting ability. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had the same stunt coordinators and lighting department. It looked like old Star Trek, too. Overlit. Cardboard looking sets. Extremely disappointing.
Logan’s Run was at the time of this review at #632 on my Flickchart list of shame (ranked #1079 among the best films of all time). Here’s how it entered my chart:
Logan’s Run vs. The French Connection
Logan’s Run vs. A Few Good Men
You can’t handle the truth.
Logan’s Run vs. Batman & Robin
Yeah. I’d rather watch the worst Batman movie again than Logan’s Run.
Logan’s Run vs. Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Hellbound: Hellraiser II actually has a lot of Pinhead and Cenobite lore. It’s nowhere near the first film, but it’s the second best of the franchise. Beats Logan’s Run.
Logan’s Run vs. The Cable Guy
I’m not a big fan of The Cable Guy, but it’s a way better film than Logan’s Run.
Logan’s Run vs. Star Trek: Generations
Look, Generations is mega-dumb, but it’s still fun. Logan’s Run is just bad.
Logan’s Run vs. Brazil
I infamously don’t enjoy Brazil, but I realize that might just be my tastes and not the film’s fault. I can recognize it’s better than Logan’s Run.
Logan’s Run vs. MacGruber
Again, MacGruber’s the worst. At least the premise of Logan’s Run is thought-provoking, even if the execution is terrible. Really terrible.
Logan’s Run vs. Phone Booth
Same reason as above – Logan’s Run will take it.
Logan’s Run vs. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Man, I don’t ever want to watch either of these ever again. I guess I’ll let Logan’s Run win this one. It’s a real toin coss.
Logan’s Run vs. Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
Ace Ventura. It’s, at least, an iconic character, albeit a really, really dumb and over-exposed one.
Logan’s Run is now ranked #1427 out of 1436 movies on my Best Movies of All-Time chart.
Last up is Blue Valentine. In the meantime, check out the other films I’ve ranked during the challenge.